Sunday, July 27, 2008

Michigan in June

After spending a day or two in the Detroit area, we drove over to the coast of Lake Michigan.  I haven't been there since I was a child but it hadn't changed at all.  The lighthouse was an unexpected surprise.  We tend to take the path less traveled and ended up on the B15 somewhere between Rothbury and Pentwater.  We happened upon the lighthouse and stayed long enough to take a walk on the beach and climb some of the sand dunes.  It was great fun and we worked up an appetite for lunch.



The stairs at Arcadia lookout must have been replaced several time over the last 55 years since I have been to Lake Michigan but I think there are as many.  I remember as a young child climbing these stairs and looking out over the water as my FC and I did that early morning.  It was silent.  It was a cool morning and the birds were loving it.  We watched them float on the thermals for a while before venturing on to the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Seashore.


  A picture hardly captures the immenseness of these dunes.  It may take you five minutes to reach the bottom but would most likely take you 2 hours to come back up.  They are almost vertical.  Needless to say, we didn't make that trip.  But we did see some younger and more fit struggling to make it back to the top.  Three steps and rest, two steps and rest.  


1 comment:

Pungo River Rambling said...

Oh my gosh the steps look just the same. It hit me in the heart and memory to see that picture. Oh my gosh